Lovely Locks 100% HUMAN HAIR Extensions & Wigs
80% OFF Remy & Virgin
Human Hair Extensions & Wigs!
Visit the Lovely Locks website >
Are You Beauty Obsessed?
Top 50 Beauty Blog >
Avieve Salon & Day Spa
Hair Care, Waxing, Spa and Tanning
One of Chicago's Premier Salons
Check out our Services >
Hair Addictionz Get Addicted
Quick, Easy, Unbelieveable
30 Min Application 15 Min Removal
Best Nail Blog
Nail Polish and Nail Art
Get the Latest Nail Trends >
Show Your Support
Related Affiliate Products
Hits from the Past
Written by Christopher Box
Published on March 14, 2014
If you haven’t heard of tape in hair extensions, you might just be missing out on a fantastic hair extension system. They happen to be one of my personal faves. I have a few key things you need to know so you will love tape extensions as much as I do.
1. Don’t be cheap! Use a reputable brand. Basically, you get what you pay for!
I know that this should be a no-brainer, however, it isn’t! If you are going to attach it to your head and plan to make public appearances (going to work, happy hour, your wedding) don’t be a cheapo. You’re worth it.
The truth is that no one is going to tell you to your face that you look silly. You want your hair to move and look like your natural hair. It is never a compliment when someone says they like your weave. No one should be able to tell you are wearing tape hair extensions.
2. Wait 48 hours before you shampoo your hair after an application. When you get tape hair extensions, you are going to have to wait at least 48 hours before you can wet or shampoo your hair.
Why? Because they will probably fall out. The tape needs a minimum of 48 hours to completely attach itself to your hair. For the first week be extra careful when you wash it.
3. Never put conditioner on the roots of your hair. This could make your tape hair extensions slip out. You don’t need conditioner on your roots anyway. This also includes anything that has oil like spray shines.
4. Press the tape extension panels together on the daily. This is the best way to make sure your tape extensions last for the entire eight week application period. When you are in the car jamming to Beyonce, you can also be pressing the panels together in sync with the beat.
5. Buy the recommended hair care. For the love of Katie Perry, please purchase the right hair care products for your extensions! No, Pantene is not good enough. No Herbal Essences will not either. Guess what, Aveda sucks on hair extensions too.
As a stylist and salon owner, I see many women leave without products. I see the same women back in two weeks later with “defective hair extensions”. The right products make all the difference in how long your tape extensions will last.
Hair extensions, in general, need different things than your natural hair does. Trust the stylist that you just gave all that $$. They know what they are doing.
6. Become a dirty girl. Dry shampoo is your new best friend. Don’t shampoo your hair every day. What many women don’t know is that extensions absorb a lot the oil your scalp produces. Use a boars hair brush several times a day to help pull this oil through your hair and your hair extensions. Think of this as nature's hair conditioner.
When your scalp starts to look a little oily use a dry shampoo to help absorb and refresh your scalp. You can go 2-4 days without having to shampoo. This will help make your tape hair extensions last a lot longer. I promise.
7. Tape hair extensions don’t just magically “fall” out or jump ship like the folks did when the Titanic went down. If you have used a reputable salon and tape hair extension system, your hair should not be falling out. My advice is to be honest with your stylist if you are having this issue. I can almost guarantee you are missing a crucial care step somewhere.
8. Be careful with your ponytails. Make sure your hair extension expert has placed the panels in a way that best suits the way you like to style your hair. You should not be able to see the tape extension panels when you pull your hair back into a ponytail.
Keep in mind that having extensions is different than having your own long hair. You might have to compromise and do a low ponytail and give your I Dream of Genie pony a break.
9. Remember to have a sense of humor. After all, it’s just hair. (that you bought and paid someone to tape to your head) If it isn’t right or if you are having trouble book a follow up with your hairdresser.
Any hair extension expert worth their salt will go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need to rock out your beautiful new hair extensions.
Check out these tape in hair extension brands:
Check out Below for More Info related to this Blog Topic
Hair Extension Methods | Visual Guide by Bree Cahey
June 5, 2015
Hair extensions are used for many different reasons, including length, volume, add color, fix a bad haircut, etc. However, choosing the hair extension…
Daydreaming of hair extensions? We are too! by Christopher Box
May 20, 2014
I got the chance to work on this video with an amazing New York fashion photographer - Anthony Friend. Our idea was to create a video that showcased the…
Hair Addictionz: One brand; unlimited possibilities by Kaity Ford
April 16, 2014
Today, hair extensions are used in a variety of ways and anyone can wear them. Whether the client has short or long hair, thin or thick hair; or needs…
Smell something burning? It's probably your hair. by Michelle Huynh
April 4, 2014
As a Dallas hair extension expert, I see lots of women in my chair with mysterious damage to their hair. Somehow their hair just keeps breaking off. As…
Microline Top Piece by Hairdreams by Tiffany Taylor
June 10, 2013
Hairdreams Microline Thinning Hair Solutions for WomenI’ve been using Hairdreams for over 9 years and the one product in particular that I absolutely…
A Tale of Two Tresses | Care for Extensions by Brad Bykkonen
March 29, 2013
Once upon a time a young lady got hair extensions. "Wow!" she said with delight upon seeing her transformation. Marveled by how just earlier…
Will I Go Bald? It's Your Mom's Fault! by Christopher Box
March 16, 2013
Will I go bald? I remember asking my mother that question when I was 18. (pic 2 above) I had heard from some friends that if your mother's father…
Hair Extensions Before and After | Hot Heads by Christopher Box
March 6, 2013
Super talented hair extensionist, Chambrey Basquette, makes waves with this beautiful blond hair extension makeover. She used Hot Heads tape hair extensions…
Get More Extension Clients | Get Upgraded by Christopher Box
February 25, 2013
Why Should I Upgrade My Extension Salon on Hair Extension Geek? More clients and more money. Hair Extension Geek is a unique salon website…
Designers, The Blonds, Serve Up Hitchcock Style and Wigs for Fall 2013 by Christopher Box
February 14, 2013
What do celebrities like Katy Perry, Beyonce and Nikki Minaj have in common? Well, besides wigs and weave. They share a similar taste in fashion with…